The ride doesn't need to end when the road does. The KTM 890 ADVENTURE takes the lightweight and sporty characteristics you'd expect from a KTM ADVENTURE motorcycle to deliver a supremely capable adventure tourer - both on and off the tarmac. Now with more engine grunt, improved handling, added suspension adjustability and rider-focussed technology, the KTM 890 ADVENTURE is the ultimate road and gravel traveller.
ENGINE & EXHAUST
- ENGINE The most notable upgrade over its predecessor is the engine. Pumping out an impressive power, the engine in the KTM 890 ADVENTURE range boasts a spate of upgrades - most notably, a significant jump in power and torque. Improvements to electronics and pre-muffler also ensure it meets the strictest emissions regulations. This, paired with a 15,000 km service interval and low fuel consumption, makes it ready to hit the long road.
- CYLINDER HEAD The DOHC cylinder head contains twin chain-driven camshafts and two spark plugs (one per cylinder). The camshafts are assembled, making them lighter than forged camshafts, while the cam profile has been developed to create an especially torquey engine. 1 mm larger intake and exhaust valves as well as reworked ports which have been flow optimized to maximize airflow also aid in delivering peak performance. A new balancer shaft in the cylinder head located between the camshafts matches the increased RPM and increased rotating mass, while a knock sensor has also been fitted to detect knocking combustions and allow for lower octane fuels - perfect for round the world travel.
- PISTONS Lighter, forged box pistons with three piston rings connected by a plain conrod bearing, combine with a DLC coated piston pin for reduced piston weight and less reciprocating mass. Piston cooling is also taken care of by two jets per piston, instead of the previous one per piston. The rotating mass of the crankshaft has been increased by 20% for improved engine behavior at constant speed. In addition, it is beneficial for cornering stability without losing the agile riding feeling.
- RIDE-BY-WIRE KTM's ride-by-wire system electronically translates the throttle commands of the rider into optimum throttle valve positions for the specific riding situation.
- BALANCER SHAFT When punching out those long days in the saddle, linking up tough offroad stages with sections of tarmac, uncomfortable engine vibrations are kept to a minimum thanks to two new balancer shafts, one in front of the crankshaft and the other in the cylinder head between the two camshafts.
- CYLINDER The nicasil-coated aluminum cylinders are an integral part of the sleeveless engine casing. The open deck cylinder construction allows for optimal cooling, improved production tolerances, and reduces the potential for cylinder warpage during production. The bore of the cylinders has increased from 88 mm to 90.7 mm for increased displacement together with a longer stroke.
- CONRODS All-new conrods feature a trapezoidal V-shape top-end which reduces oscillating masses and supports higher the revvy nature and higher power output of the motor. The top-end bearing is also fitted with a bronze conrod bearing instead of a DLC coated top-end for longevity.
- CRANKSHAFT A rotating mass increase of 20% means this forged, one-piece crankshaft improves engine behavior at a constant speed, reducing any interference from centrifugal forces. The 435-degree firing order also produces a sound similar to that of the larger LC8 engine, which makes the KTM 890 ADVENTURE feel like one of its V-twin ADVENTURE brothers when cracking the throttle open.
- CRANKCASE New horizontally split crankcases allow for the engine's increased bore but remain high-pressure cast from aluminum. This allows for reduced wall thickness, weight savings and optimized surfaces, offering the engine designers more freedom in their design. The open-deck cylinders are integrated into the crankcase.
- OIL CIRCULATIONS Oil circulation is based on a compact semi-dry sump system to minimize friction losses. The oil is actively pumped out of the crankcase, clutch housing and gearbox, which ensures that oil does not unnecessarily flow through the engine. The oil sump is integrated into the oil pump housing, together with two pumps (one scavenge, one pressure) and a pressure regulation valve. To cool down the oil, the engine is equipped with a larger oil cooler.
- PASC CLUTCH Adapted with new friction plates and improved cooling, the Power Assist Clutch (PASC) on the KTM 890 ADVENTURE serves a dual role. Not only is it a slipper clutch, preventing rear wheel chatter under hard deceleration, but also reduces the hard force needed when changing gears, allowing the clutch lever to be actuated with only one finger - saving you energy while riding.
- GEARBOX The 6-speed sequential gearbox gets faster shifting thanks to shorter shift lever travel, lighter spring action and quicker Quickshifter+ technology, while the teeth on 4th, 5th and 6th gear are glass bead blasted for improved reliability. Quickshifter+ - optional on the KTM 890 ADVENTURE - allows for clutchless up and downshifts throughout the rev range.
- EXHAUST Stainless-steel and ready for adventure! The exhaust system on the KTM 890 ADVENTURE boasts a reworked pre-muffler with an efficient catalytic converter to meet the latest emission limits. The whole design is focused on centralizing masses, which also improves the exhaust system's ground clearance.
- AIRFILTER The KTM 890 ADVENTURE features easy air filter accessibility for cleaning and servicing, even if you're out in the most remote location while on a ride. The airbox is located under the seat with the intake at the rear of the bike. This means that in addition to easy air filter access, the seat and tank could be kept low and the bike could be made narrower where it counts: in the leg area. It has also allowed better positioning of the electronics to keep mass centralized.
- COOLING During extreme offroad exploration, it's important the LC8c engine keeps its cool to ensure its advanced power and performance are maintained. Thanks to the KTM 890 ADVENTURE's design and advanced cooling technology, riding for hours in hot conditions is no problem.
- FRAME The overall geometry of the KTM 890 ADVENTURE was developed for light handling, and comfort on long distance exploration missions - with unchallenged offroad capability. Strength was a big consideration in the design, so a tubular Chromoly steel frame is used with the engine acting as a stressed member to reduce weight and overall size. All design and engineering innovations are focused on being compact and light.
- SUBFRAME Featuring an even more lightweight and solid construction than its predecessor, the subframe is fully-loaded for adventure. The motorcycle beneath you needs to be built to last. The steel trellis subframe was developed to be compact, lightweight and also strong enough to carry a full load of luggage as well as a passenger under the hardest conditions while extreme adventure riding.
- SWINGARM The signature die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is precisely manufactured and has been optimized for stiffness and stability while still offering excellent flex characteristics. By using a direct link for the rear shock, complexity and parts are reduced. The relatively long swingarm aids in traction, stability and suspension setup.
- WHEELS & TIRES Carve up the streets on your way to your next epic adventure. The spoked 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels are specifically developed for KTM ADVENTURE riding and feature new anodized hubs (instead of powder-coated). The heavy-duty and lightweight wheels are tubeless and have the option of TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). The specially selected Avon Trailrider tires deliver confidence-inspiring long-distance street handling and comfort, yet are still more than capable of exploring trails off the beaten track.
- SUSPENSION When setting off on an adventure ride, there are many variables that can influence the bike's handling performance. Rider weight, extra luggage, fuel volume and whether there is a pillion passenger or not - all have to be considered before racing off. Thankfully, the KTM 890 ADVENTURE comes with perfectly set up, high-quality WP suspension, to accommodate the many variables of travel-enduro exploration. With the additional benefit of adjustable rear pre-load and rebound damping, the KTM 890 ADVENTURE can be further refined to suit most typical riding scenarios, conditions and situations.
- STEERING DAMPER To aid stability, a steering damper is fitted for those times when you're pushing hard on the tarmac or powering across rough surfaces on route to your destination. Don't worry; it doesn't interfere with serious offroad riding.
- TRIPLE CLAMPS The signature die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is precisely manufactured and has been optimized for stiffness and stability while still offering excellent flex characteristics. By using a direct link for the rear shock, complexity and parts are reduced. The relatively long swingarm aids in traction, stability and suspension setup.
- FRONT FORK WP APEX 43 mm open cartridge upside-down forks take care of the rough stuff upfront, striking the perfect performance balance between offroad adventure riding and two-up sport touring. Split function technology separates the compression and rebound damping between the two fork legs, allowing the generous 200 mm of travel to take care of the big bumps.
- REAR SHOCK With a new, adjustable WP APEX shock absorber has been fitted to the KTM 890 ADVENTURE, finding the perfect travel setting is made even easier. Riders can adjust spring preload by hand, tailoring their setup up for rough terrain, or heavier loads for longer travels. The shock absorber provides a generous 200 mm of travel, balancing KTM performance with all-day riding comfort.
- BRAKES Improved for 2021, the KTM 890 ADVENTURE boasts twin 320 mm diameter brake discs with 4-piston, radially mounted calipers up front, and a 260 mm diameter brake disc actuated by a double-piston floating caliper in the rear providing superior feedback and stopping power. A new stainless steel brake hose on the rear also helps combat brake fade on long downhill sections. The rear brake features new, isolated pistons in the caliper in conjunction with isolation plates between pads and pistons in order to gain more heat stability. In addition, the fitting of the brake hose on the rear caliper is made of stainless steel to reduce heat in the brake hose.
- FUEL TANK This groundbreaking fuel tank concept is central to the 890 ADVENTURE R's design innovation. With the main tank volume placed as low as possible and slung down the sides of the chassis, it provides many benefits. Whether seated or standing, the tank between your legs feels considerably narrower and more compact than one would expect from the generous 20 liter volume. The low-slung fuel volume results in effortless handling with the bulk of the weight set low and forward, eliminating the fuel swaying and offsetting the balance as is typical of traditionally-positioned tanks. This results in a low center of gravity which enhances agility and allows for more playful handling and instant change of direction. The freed-up traditional tank area allows a straighter and lower seat, giving the rider more freedom to move with improved freedom. The tank is also made of highly durable materials and is highly crash-resistant, as proven by the similar tank concept successfully used in the extreme race conditions of the Dakar Rally by the KTM Factory Racing team. The ultimate result is a best of both worlds: a slim feel of a smaller offroad bike with the exceptional fuel range of over 400 km on the open road.
ERGONOMICS & COMFORT
- HANDLEBAR An aluminum, tapered handlebar allows maximum control while affording riders a comfortable riding position. The handlebar can be mounted in six different positions, which results in 30 mm of adjustment range for the perfect reach.
- FOOTPEGS Whether it's all-day riding while standing or sitting, the KTM 890 ADVENTURE's footpegs have been developed for superior ergonomics and to accommodate street or offroad boots in a wide range of conditions. The footpegs have rubber inserts for added comfort, which can be removed for a more offroad feel.
- SEATS The height adjustable two-part seat offers comfort for long rides. The rider seat is narrow in the front to provide easy access to the ground. Relatively firm seat foam ensures that the rider stays comfortable even when riding all day long, and the seat cover provides a mix between grip and ease of movement.
- WINDSHIELD The KTM 890 ADVENTURE has a high windshield for maximum wind protection on long rides when chewing up kilometers at high speeds on the open road. The lower KTM 890 ADVENTURE R windshield can be used on the KTM 890 ADVENTURE for a racier look.
BODYWORK & GRAPHICS
- TFT DISPLAY Reading valuable information like trip meter, fuel range, ABS settings and ride modes on the fly is made easier with the 5-inch, full-color, state-of-the-art TFT display. The rider can select which information and where he would like to have it displayed on the screen. The display's configuration is variable and automatically adapts to variations in environmental light. The rev counter blinks to indicate when to shift.
- LED LIGHTS LED lights are used on the KTM 890 ADVENTURE as the main headlight, taillight and indicators. LED lights offer great illumination and visibility. The design of the headlight mask was inspired by the KTM 450 RALLY motorcycles, providing improved visibility and reducing the overall volume of the cockpit when attacking offroad terrain.
SOFTWARE & ELECTRONICS
- RIDER AIDS Electronic rider aids provide more control, performance and enjoyment to the rider under a wider range of circumstances. Designed to enhance your riding experience, the latest ABS and MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) technology, along with different ride modes, is tailored to allow you to easily adjust the various rider aids to suit a range of riding conditions. These features can be selected, deselected and utilized to get the most out of the technology and equipment across a much wider range of terrain.
- MTC (MOTORCYCLE TRACTION CONTROL) KTM's Motorcycle Traction Control - or MTC - has been improved for 2021, using two separate controllers to measure rear wheel slippage and lean angle pitch to calculate the optimal amount of traction for every terrain and situation. The result is smoother traction control with less-abrupt and barely noticeable intervention at the throttle bodies. For the more adventurous, however, the traction control can be turned off completely.
- CORNERING ABS KTM's cornering ABS system allows riders to always use the full power of their brakes while the system adjusts brake pressure to match the lean angle of the motorcycle. This means safer and more predictable braking across a wider range of conditions and scenarios. It can also be turned off for more control in offroad conditions.
- OFFROAD ABS Maximum braking power with minimal intrusion. Braking demands are very different in offroad terrain from the predictable grip of asphalt. By selecting Offroad ABS, the ABS function is deactivated on the rear wheel, while the front wheel ABS intervention is reduced and lean-angle sensor data is ignored to accommodate the intuitive riding style needed when reigning in speed on the dirt. This allows riders to lock up the rear wheel, which can be used to steer into corners with better control and regulates the pressure on the front brakes to provide balanced and confident stopping power on the most adventurous terrain.
- OFFROAD RIDE MODE Offroad Ride Mode puts the power down in tricky terrain by using sophisticated sensors to adapt the power delivery through the ECU for effective and confidence-inspiring offroad use. Peak horsepower is reduced, throttle response is softened and wheel slippage is increased to allow for a more dynamic ride on loose surfaces. On such low-grip surfaces, a certain amount of wheel slip is needed to ensure forward motion. This feature allows riders to break traction to a fair degree and to facilitate rear-wheel steering. Anti-wheelie is not used in this mode, so riders can easily lift the front wheel to clear obstacles. Unlike some other modes, Offroad Ride Mode is not lean-angle sensitive, meaning that traction control does not intervene when a rider uses a berm, dune or rut to negotiate a tight turn.
- RALLY MODE Rally Mode which is available as an option on the KTM 890 ADVENTURE, allows the rider to adapt the character of the bike more freely. Rally Mode unlocks an almost instant throttle response and allows for 9 levels of wheel slip control, with 9 being comparable to Rain Mode. With these settings, the slip adjust can be very precisely matched to the condition of the surface, the skill level of the rider and the requirements of the ride. Reducing slip levels can also help in conserving tires for longer when taking on further-reaching or longer-lasting rides.
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.