Evolution and adaption are critical when it comes to maintaining one's status as the top dog. The KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO is a BEAST - evolved. Boasting intuitive Semi-Active Suspension Technology (SAT), this BEAST not only adapts to the road surface but also to the rider's inputs - making it a cold, calculated hunter. A frightening prospect for any would-be challenger.
ENGINE & EXHAUST
- ENGINE If it ain't broken, don't fix it. But by all means, make it meaner! Boasting 180 hp and 140 Nm, the 1301 cc LC8, V-Twin has undergone a subtle yet impactful development. Optimized to be lighter but retaining its torquey character, this powerhouse is the benchmark of V-twin evolution. And with engine and linkage mounts that add to the overall structure of the entire package - it quite literally is the part that holds THE BEAST together.
- ENGINE CASE Thinner engine casings and revised water and oil cooler mounts have resulted in a 0.8 kg weight saving, compared to the previous generation. Oil delivery has also been improved by way of a lightweight aluminum oil line, eliminating the need for a double wall system. Additionally, the engine carrier bracket and linkage mount have been integrated into the engine case, allowing for a stiffer connection. This has also resulted in a 5 mm higher swingarm pivot for improved stability and anti-squat.
- INJECTORS Top feeder injectors and 56 mm throttle bodies provide an improved air to fuel mixture at high rpms. This results in more torque and better fuel economy throughout the rev range.
- GEARBOX You don't always need big changes to make big differences. In fact, when it comes to the PANKL transmission, we've made a few small tweaks which have resulted in quicker shift times, shorter shift action and lighter lever modulation. Smoother shift action also comes courtesy of an improved spline shaft and bronzed copper coating on the shift forks. Why do all this? Quite simply - quicker shift times equal faster acceleration.
- TWIN SPARK IGNITION When it comes to burning fuel efficiently, two sparks are better than one. The twin spark ignition system makes use of more powerful ignition coils and two spark plugs in each cylinder head. This makes for an optimized firing sequence, resulting in more power, better control, lower fuel consumption and lower emissions.
- AIR INTAKE To perform like a BEAST, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO needs to breath like a BEAST. Thanks to a ram air intake positioned in the headlight mask, this rip snorting arrangement maximizes flow by forcing air into the combustion chambers. This in turn reduces the chance of low air pressure and increases the fuel burn rate. The addition of a newly designed and easy-to-access air filter box makes for easy servicing too.
- PASC CLUTCH While the pressure lubricated PASC slipper clutch allows for feather-light clutch modulation while accelerating, it's how it handles slowing down that's the really impressive bit. When the engine experiences extreme back-torque during aggressive downshifting from speed, the clutch opens to prevent the rear wheel locking, giving the rider full control and perfect entry speed while hunting apexes.
- RIDE-BY-WIRE A new quick turn throttle twist grip has been added to the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO's arsenal. With the twist-action reduced by 7 degrees, this R&D-developed solution not only offers faster and more responsive throttle input but also reduces the rider wrist angle and elbow drop at full-throttle. This is paired with buttery-smooth ride by wire which electronically translates the throttle commands of the rider into the best throttle valve positions for the current riding situation. Choking, jolting and involuntary wheelies are a thing of the past. Voluntary ones, however, could easily be a thing of your future
- CRANKCASE In the battle of physics and blasting holes in the space-time continuum, lighter is faster. But when you're working with a pure naked BEAST, finding the places to trim fat is often a challenge. Weight has been shaved off the crankcases, by making them marginally thinner, which, when combined with a new water pump and lighter clutch cover, provides a substantial overall weight saving.
- PISTONS Formula1-inspired forged piston technology means we can push the limits of load capacity despite the extremely short and lightweight design. This results in minimized reciprocating weight and maximized responsiveness. The piston skirts also feature a state-of-the-art, hard anodized finish which minimizes friction, adding to the engine's free-revving nature. What's more, the hard-wearing durability of these parts add many years to an already impressive engine life.
- EXHAUST This is not a case of "bark being worse than bite" - this BEAST roars! Up to 60 mm of drainpipe-like dimensions at the headers optimize gas flow, while 2 catalytic converters control emissions, without compromising the V-twin engine note or horsepower.
- TITANIUM INLET VALVES State-of-the-art, machined titanium inlet valves with chromium nitride PVD coating - how impressive does that sound? These feature a flat design, and weigh 19 grams less than steel inlet valves. When combined with the meticulously engineered cylinder heads and combustion chambers on the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO, offering a compression ratio of 13.6:1, there is ultimately one outcome, pure power.
- CYLINDER HEADS Thanks to the resonator chambers on the cylinder heads, which have been engineered to increase the torque output in the lower to mid-range rpms, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO pulls like a train, while keeping fuel consuption and CO² emissions in check.
- AIRFILTER Gone are the days of complicated air-filter maintainence. Thanks top an easy-to-access air filter box, swapping out your air filter for a fresh set of lungs is as easy as making sportsbike riders cry.
- FRAME The frame, which uses the engine as a means to increase torsional rigidity, has resulted in the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO being 3 times stiffer than its predecessor. This allows for an effortless, confidence-inspiring riding position which translate into an ultimately faster ride. This is achieved by maximizing the feedback from the chassis and the front tire. The frame also makes use of thicker diameter tubes with thinner walls, which is the single biggest weight saving measure on the bike - saving 2 kg compared to the previous generation model.
- SUBFRAME Multi-dexterity is the name of the game when it comes to this BEAST's tail. A lightweight composite subframe combines a number of functions to save weight and increase functionality. The passenger seat, license plate holder and tail lights bolt directly onto the subframe structure with no additional brackets or attachments needed.
- SWINGARM To increase feel and traction, the pivot point of the single-sided swingarm is positioned 5mm higher relative to the front sprocket for more control when putting the power down. Combined with the repositioning of the engine in the frame, a steeper swingarm angle has been achieved, increasing anti-squat compared to the previous generation.
- SEMI-ACTIVE SUSPENSION With its ability to adapt to the road conditions and rider inputs, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO's new WP Semi-Active Technology (SAT) transforms this BEAST from a stone-cold hunter to a calculated apex predator. As the most advanced suspension system on the market, the WP SAT features newly developed electronically controlled magnetic valves for variable damping, providing a wide range of adjustability from maximum street comfort to extreme track-ready stiffness.
- FRONT FORK 48mm WP APEX forks feature Electronically controlled damping that feels more conventional and less intrusive. This was achieved by using Pulse Width Modulation stroke sensors which offer finer and more responsive stroke signals and a faster responding SAT valve. The end result? Seamless suspension adjustment with the rider left to simply get on with the job of riding.
- TRIPLE CLAMP Lightweight, forged aluminum triple clamps with an offset of 32 mm have been matched to an aluminum steering column for added weight savings. Essentially, this is the bit that connects the nut holding the handlebars to the front end.
- SHOCK ABSORBER Combined with SUSPENSION PRO. the shock absorber features an all-new automatic preload adjuster which uses a stroke sensor that enables the SAT system to recognize how much load there is on the motorcycle, effecting an automatic preload of the spring for perfect balance geometry and sag. These can be adjusted via three modes - LOW, STANDARD, HIGH. Alternatively the rider can adjust between 0% and 100% in increments of 10%. All settings for the suspension can be performed via the dashboard and the modes/settings are indicated on the TFT screen.
- SUSPENSION PRO SUSPENSION PRO allows riders to select three additional suspension settings, namely TRACK, AUTO, and ADVANCED, whereby riders can achieve ultimate TRACK settings, ask the machine to automatically adjust the suspension based on their current riding situation, or deep-dive into the ADVANCED settings for suspension fine-tuning.
- LINKAGE Through the power of leverage, the linkage at the rear helps to smooth out rough roads, while still ensuring that full-attack track action remains uncompromised. The progressive damping character also ensures optimized damping and bottoming out resistance.
- WHEELS These wheels didn't just happen by the grace of a designer's pen - they are the product of a sophisticated CAD system, which determines the best shape in terms of strength and lightness. What that means is that these wheels are engineered down to the finest detail, they are lighter than before and look great.
- TIRES BRIDGESTONE S22 tires - 120/70/17 in the front and 200/55/17 in the rear - are specifically developed for the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO. Featuring a fine-particle silica compound, they offer much-improved grip in wet weather conditions, making for exceptional characteristics on the road but also phenomenal handling on the track.
- BRAKES Reigning this BEAST comes courtesy of 4-piston BREMBO Stylema monobloc calipers clamping onto 320 mm floating discs up front, and a twin piston floating caliper biting a 240 mm disc at the rear.
ERGONOMICS & COMFORT
- HANDLEBAR Finding the optimal seating position is made easy with an adjustable 760 mm wide handlebar. Riders can tailor their preferred reach with 4 positions over 22 mm, front to back, making it easy to attack corners and crucial for hanging on down the straights.
- MENU SWITCH The KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO boasts an intuitive TFT dashboard with multi-functionality. To access this, robust, tactile motorcycle switchgear has been developed - which incidentally push all the right buttons. Riders can adjust the wheel slip easily via paddle buttons on the switchgear, while in TRACK MODE, or can set two programmable switches for fast access to favored features or setting of their choosing.
- HAND LEVERS Hydraulic brake and clutch levers make for easy one-finger operation, while full reach adjustability ensures they are within easy grasp of even the most reach-challenged riders.
- SEATS There's no doubting THE BEAST's performance credentials. But that doesn't mean riders have to sacrifice long-distance comfort either. While the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO is at home on the track, it's a naked street bike first. This means passenger comfort has been thoroughly thought-out and has been designed to allow for real-world, 2-up riding.
- FOOTPEGS Big lean angles come as standard, thanks to smart positioning of the foot pegs, which also allow for comfort on the road. However, further refinement is also possible with two positions, which lift the pegs higher and further backwards for a more aggressive stance. And as can be expected, the gear shift pattern can be easily reversed to a 5 down, 1 up arrangement for full BEAST MODE track attacks. Shift and brake levers are fully adjustable too.
SOFTWARE & ELECTRONICS
- LED HEADLIGHT While the headlight mask doubles as an intake snorkel, it's the twin LED headlights that really shine. Sharp, menacing lines enhance THE BEAST's overall look, while providing ample illumination when it gets dark. Daytime running lights also ensure you will get noticed, which not only earns you kudos when it comes to street cred, but more importantly, makes you more visible to other road users.
- RIDER AIDS Many traditionalists might frown at the sight of electronic rider aids, saying they interfere with the purity of the ride. However, when it comes to the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO, all electronic features have received an update, providing more feedback from the engine, and less intrusiveness from the safety systems. To say it simply - smarter systems, more performance.
- RIDE MODES In a bid for ultimate control, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO features highend traction control, anti-wheelie functionality and ride modes. Rain mode Rain mode" is the no-brainer setting for slippery conditions, resulting in maximum traction control, ultra-smooth throttle response and less power, keeping the front wheel on the tarmac when you really need it. Street mode Just like it sounds, "Street mode" is made for the daily grind on everyday roads. Full power, default throttle response and limited slip traction control keeps things controlled on the road. Sport mode Dialled in for a more spirited ride, "Sport mode" tightens up the throttle control, winds down the traction control slightly and allows the front end to lift under hard acceleration. And of course - unleashes all the horse power.
- TRACK MODE The optional "Track mode" allows riders to customize wheel slip levels and throttle response to suit their own individual tastes or track conditions. Traction control can be tweaked over 9 levels of slip while MSC is disabled completely. Anti-wheelie can also be disabled completely for those who like to hoist the front wheel across the start/finish line.
- PERFORMANCE MODE An optional "Performance mode" takes the basic concept of "Track mode" but adapts it for the street. Riders are still able to adjust throttle response, wheel slip and anti-wheelie functions, but retain typical street functions such as Cruise Control and KTM MY RIDE.
- MTC Motorcycle traction control - or MTC for short - uses two different controllers to keep things in check. The most obvious of which is a wheel slip controller which regulates the amount of spin or break in traction at the rear wheel. A pitch angle controller identifies and regulates abrupt changes in front wheel lift. Each of these controllers work with individual strategies to ensure a seamless "behind-the-scenes" safety net is always in play. While the safety benefits are obvious, this also results in improved straight-line acceleration. MTC also works when lean angles get tested, reacting immediately if the rotational speed of the rear wheel is disproportionate to the riding situation. MTC reduces the engine output with an extremely smooth, barely noticeable intervention at the throttle valves, reducing slippage to optimum levels for the selected ride mode and lean angle. Depending on the selected riding mode, MTC allows different levels of traction slip at the rear wheel. And of course, MTC can be switched off completely for the full BEAST experience.
- MSR Unlike MTC which works when the power gets rolled on, MSR works when the power is wound off. MSR (optional), or Motor Slip Regulation, works with the slipper clutch to balance the throttle, ensuring super-smooth deceleration in the harshest conditions without any unwanted rear wheel lockup. This is deactivated in "Track" and "Supermoto ABS" modes, to allow riders to back the bike into corners - as you would expect.
- SUPERMOTO ABS Three things happen when riders select "Supermoto ABS". First, all ABS functionality is disabled on the rear wheel, allowing the riders to lock up the brakes and slide into corners. Secondly, the ABS system does not interfere in the event of the rear wheel lifting off the tarmac, allowing for stoppies. And thirdly, cornering ABS is disabled, allowing riders full control when barreling into fast corners with maximum brake pressure. All in all, the deactivation of these functions in "Supermoto ABS" gives the rider more control in extreme track scenarios and allows advanced riders to brake much harder for maximum apex-hunting sessions.
- CRUISE CONTROL Long motorway journeys are easily dispatched with the SUPER DUKE R EVO’s cruise control system. Easily activated and controlled by a switch on the left hand side of the handlebar, riders can set cruise control in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear, between 40 km/h and 200 km/h. That’s one way to save energy for the twisty bits.
- TPMS As its name implies, the TPMS monitors tire pressure and warns riders of potential tire damage in the event of pressure loss on the TFT display. An added convenience when you want to spend more time on the road and less time checking air pressures.
- ATIR Auto-cancelling turn signals are a big improvement in terms of safety, as it is now impossible to forget that they are activated and flashing into infinitum. Indicators stop flashing after 10 seconds and in 150 meters.
- KTM RACE ON SYSTEM Forget about ignition keys and mechanically locked fuel caps, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO features KTM RACE ON! All you need is the transponder key in your pocket and you can unlock THE BEAST.
- KTM MYRIDE KTM MY RIDE puts you in control of your smartphone, without losing control of the bars. By using a mobile app on your smart device, KTM MY RIDE givies you turn-by-turn navigation, access your music library and allows you to make and receive phone calls on the fly - right from your dashboard.
BODYWORK & GRAPHICS
- BODYWORK There isn't much to say about the bodywork of the new KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R EVO as there is so little of it to talk about. But that's exactly how we like it! Aggressive and menacing, the bodywork and panels had to achieve two objectives - tick all the ergonomic boxes and shave weight wherever possible. As such, every panel and plate has been calculated for optimum thickness and minimized where possible. The only thing that remained heavy was attitude.
- SHARP REAR END Thanks to a lightweight composite subframe, the passenger seat, license plate holder and tail lights could be seamlessly incorporated into a neat rear end, which keeps a little sting in the tail.
- TANK Crafted from steel, the 16 liter fuel tank has been made to bulk up THE BEAST's haunches. Also, the new shape and angle have been designed to support the rider on street and on the track.
- AIR INTAKE Almost mantis-like, the LED headlight doubles as a ram air intake, with air being channeled between the lights, keeping them cool, and directly into the air filter box, making for a more efficient burn. Besides looking great, the dual-functionality resulted in cleaner, more compact lines and less overall weight.
- GRAPHICS There's no mistaking that this is the meanest bike on the block. A high-quality application process has been used to ensure the signature 'R' graphics stay put and never fade, while contrasting colors, tones and textures set the muscled creases of the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R off perfectly.
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.